Hosting a 12 week group:
Suggestions for a successful group:
6 to 9 months out:
- Obtain approval from pastor, church leadership or governing committee.
- Establish and approve a budget.
- Choose a starting date for the ministry.
- Fill out order form from website and purchase curriculum.
- Read through entire curriculum and start recruiting volunteers.
3 to 6 months out:
- Start advertising for volunteers.
- Start working with youth leaders in your community to gain their support.
- Put dates on church calendar and finalize rooms needed.
8-12 weeks out:
- Hold informational meeting for potential volunteers.
- Create a promo spot on your website’s homepage with on-line registration – if possible. If on-line registration is not possible, include a PDF registration form which can be printed out and mailed in with the payment.
- Set dates for on-site registrations. It is recommended that all registrations be paid in advance. This guarantees a reliable list of attendees, and aids you in planning for the conference.
- Assign a promotions committee. Begin designing posters, bulletin announcements, church and community advertising, newspaper ads, etc.
- Begin working with radio stations to secure promo spots closer to date, if available.
- Send letter from Senior Pastor or Youth Pastor to surrounding area churches (60 mile radius) along with promo information encouraging them to promote this event.
- Start collecting magazines for Jesus Bags.
- Start making announcements to Church Youth Group.
4 to 8 weeks out:
- Have your leadership finalized.
- Begin advertising in local churches, schools, coffee shops, counseling offices etc.
- Place promo posters in prominent places throughout your facility and community.
- Begin using video clip announcements with verbal endorsement from the pastor on Sunday mornings.
- Mail a letter to students in your Youth Group from Senior Pastor or Youth Pastor endorsing and encouraging parents to register their teens.
- Bulletin and newsletter announcements or inserts
- Hold a planning meeting.
- Share vision and passion of “The Big D” to all volunteers.
- Verify advertising is active.
- Emphasize the importance of connecting one on one with teens.
- Review curriculum and nightly format with volunteers.
- Delegate weekly assignments.
- Discuss room set up or decorating.
2 to 4 weeks out:
- Do promo spots on local radio stations
- Hold on-site registrations
- Continue with advertising to hosting church, local churches and community.
- Prepare supplies for 1st lesson.
- Wheel of Fortune cards
- Have enough workbooks
- Gather together all activity supplies
- Type and Copy Big D Quotes to put on walls.
- Purchase and make Big D Candy
- Make copies of all attachments needed.
- Purchase supplies for first lesson.
- Purchase any supplies needed.
- Purchase any decorating supplies
- Make sure all refreshments and snacks are purchased
- Prizes for games (if desire)
2 weeks to before event:
- Work on decorating the room.
- Meet with leaders to finalize agenda and verify all last minute details are covered.
- Keep close watch on Registrations and verify you have enough workbooks.
· 1 - lead organizer and teacher
· 1 - assistant (your back up)
· 1 - adult volunteer per every 6 teens
· 1 - advertising person
· 1 – person to be in charge of refreshments and snacks
· 1 - person to make all copies and purchase weekly supplies for activities